Becoming a Master of Self-Discipline
Self-discipline is a powerful tool to have and yet challenging to obtain. Why? Because its not easy. However, nothing worthwhile ever is, and you will never achieve what you want without discipline.
Self-discipline is the ability to do whatever it takes to overcome obstacles and reach your goals, even when it’s inconvenient or uncomfortable. It may involve saying “no” to things you want or saying “yes” to things you hate, but with the power of self-discipline, it becomes easier to stand up for yourself.
Most individuals would love to be more self-disciplined, yet very few people actually take action to acquire it.
Perhaps you start your day with good intentions but veer off as the day progresses due to challenging issues, stresses, distractions, or worse still- procrastination. Thankfully, there are some strategies you can incorporate into your daily life so you can become a master of self-discipline and stay on task.
Follow these techniques to strengthen your self-discipline:
• Be committed to the cause. You will only become self-disciplined if you have a strong enough reason to- a powerful WHY that compels you to move forward and achieve it.
• Do you really want it? Is being more disciplined something that you’re committed to or is it just a wish? Many times, people claim they want to be more self- disciplined, but the truth is, they honestly don’t mind being the way they are. However, if this is something that you want to improve in your life, it may take a bit of time and effort, but it can be done.
• The only way you’ll succeed is by staying committed to the cause.
• Make a plan to achieve your goals. The process of writing your ideas and goals down helps you clarify the thoughts in your mind so you can come up with an action plan that you can stick to. This created motivation which in turn creates discipline.
• Write down all the areas that you wish to improve – your finances, relationships, career, or anything in between. Include what changes you would like to see and how you believe will be the best way to make it happen.
• Let people know. It’s wonderful that you’ve committed to make a positive change in your life, but don’t keep it under wraps. Tell others that you want to make a change and boost your self-discipline.
• Don’t be ashamed that you weren’t more self-disciplined to begin with. The important thing is that you’re now taking positive action! Those who love you will be there to support you and help you celebrate your successes.
• Have a mentor, coach, or support group. Your support network such as a coach or mentor can also help you get through the bad days and put you back on track to achieve your goals. They will hold you accountable to stick to your guns and achieve what you have set out to.
• Believe in yourself. Have faith in yourself and know that if you can master your self-discipline, you can do anything! There will be both good and bad days, but as long as you remain focused and committed, you’ll be successful in strengthening your self-discipline.
• Keep your eyes on the prize. Remember to focus on the big picture and concentrate on how your body, mind, and energy will change for the better when you stay committed.
Many people admire those who are self-disciplined. These people can stay on a schedule and never seem to lose focus on what they need to accomplish. They make more wise decisions, take action when they need to, and achieve their goals with relative ease. The thing is, self-discipline is a tool that anyone can use, provided they have the discipline to use it.
By implementing self-discipline into your daily life, it very soon becomes a habit. It becomes your way of life, and you begin achieving things many people think is remarkable.